Shots from E’s


I was reminded that another reunion was in the wind when I received a summary sheet from Edwin Eggleston, one of the original AE  freshman class in '41.  He was in the Navy for over three years during  WWII and returned to join his father in Eggleston Transportation.  In '65 he joined Schaeffer  Mfg. and was with them for 31 years in sales.  He was Manager of the NY Sales Division.  He married his high school sweetheart and has three sons, all in the hi tech world, one in nuclear power inspections, another with Lockheed-Martin in electronic aircraft controls, and the third writing artificial intelligence programs for various industries.   Cancer took his sweetheart a few year ago.  Edwin still has fond memories of the skull sessions in the dorm, the football game against Coast Guard, and the dance with the Gene Krupa band.  (Yes! He was some drummer.) 

He has been very active in the American Legion, being , Post Commander, County Commander, Chairman of the Oratorical Contest, and recipient of the ATHS Founders Award.  Those in that original '41 freshman class, do you remember Edwin (Ed?).

2006 June

Richard M.(Dick)Ettington-BS NavalSc.  I was commissioned Ensign Oct.'45.. I served (with classmate Skip Reynolds) aboard a Destroyer Escort in the Pacific then the Atlantic. I returned to RPI Fall '46, graduated with a BSME summer '47.  My career in heavy industry; included every management title from Forman to GM with Ingersoll-Rand ,to Group VP  with Worthington. Most infamous period as last  President of American Locomotive Co., a Worthington Sub, when, after over two years of failed negotiations with the union, had to shut down the huge Schenectady , NY Works. Then we transferred operations to the Canadian Sub in Montreal where I was the Chairman, CEO, continuing the same locomotive and machinery businesses until we sold to Bombardier. Then I transferred to NJ as Pres, Worthington's world-wide pump & machinery business. Then I joined Dresser Ind.'s near  Los Angeles, now part of Halliburton.

I celebrated 54 years with English teacher Betty Kirkpatrick, who raised our two great children nearly alone, including son Martin who also graduated from RPI, '77,  while I traveled constantly, world-wide. I retired in 1995 then started Software Services Co with son, formerly with H-P.  We can be found at 4211 Cartesian Circle, Palos Verdes Pen., CA 90274


Dick Ettington '45 / '47 BSME sent along a little current info and a sketch of his career.  My wife and I will attend my old ship reunion in Philadelphia, Sept. '08 - (I'm probably the oldest,    reminding me of wonderful days in the  V-12 NROTC at RPI.) My class graduated as Ensigns right after V-J Day.'45.   Classmate Skip Reynolds ’45 and I were assigned to a Destroyer (USS Coolbaugh, DE217), -just overhauled in Mare Island, San Francisco, after Kamakazi damage in the Pacific, to be a picket ship for the invasion of Japan.  Instead, our Div of 3 ships was transferred to the Atlantic, picking up returning Marines as we passed thru the canal (where we ran out of penicillin)  - to NY City- then  New London sub base then to Key West, Fla.  After a year of interesting duty, including-sub service and visits to the Dry Tortugas and Havana, Cuba (on my 21st birthday), I returned to RPI in Sept. '46 for BSME in the summer of '47. My career in heavy industry,  included the dubious distinction of having to shut down the old  American Locomotive Co in Schenectady, NY., after long, fruitless negotiations with the USW Union, -then moved operations to Montreal, until sold to Bombardier.
I ended up in an oil service company, traveled world-wide too much, finally retired in beautiful  Palos Verdes, CA. Skip stayed in the NAVY, became a Naval Airman- then Admiral's Staff, but I've lost track of him.
My wife of 57 years, and I have a son, RPI '77 and Grandson, 10, who may follow us, someday. Truly, I'm a living example of what a great country we are so fortunate to be a part of here in Palos Verdes, CA.

Shots from F’s


We received notice that John H. Fabricius BEE '45 MEE died July 27, 2002.  John was born in Albany in 1925, attended Watervliet High School  and became part of the Class of '45.  He was part of the Navy V-12 Program  and saw duty as a Navy Officer.  After receiving his MEE he joined Sprague Electric in 1947 and was with them for 27 years, leaving in 1974 to join BTU Engineering in North Billerica, MA, retiring as Senior Vice President in 1989.

John was an avid golfer and became Club Champion at two golf clubs.  He also was an active saxophone player in several bands.  John and Isabelle had six daughters who married and expanded the family with 10 grandchildren., and now 3 great-grandchildren.  John was a devoted husband, father, and grandfather to that large and loving family.


Kenneth R. Finken BEE '45-'47 and his wife Elsie are retired in Melbourne, Florida. He acquired a MSEE in communications from Columbia Univ. Ken was an Associate Principal Engineer when he retired from Harris Corp.  You might have used one of his four patents he has on various antennas.  The last time he was on campus was when Phi Epsilon Phi joined Sigma Chi around 1950.  (Wont he see a change the next time)


Chuck Flora AE helped confirm who's who in one of the pictures and added a good picture of the foursome to the collection.  They were Chuck , Jim Decker, John Graves, and Paul Dickman all AE.   Louise Flora, Dory Dickman, and Sunniva Graves completed the picture at the table.


Chuck Flora AE '45 also sent along comments about the March issue: I thought it might be of interest that the bridge that was written up in the March issue of the alumni mag. is about ten miles from where I grew up. My parents had occasional business in Hadley and some friends who lived a few miles up the Sacandaga. I can remember crossing that bridge in the car with them. It was pretty ancient and shaky even then in the 1930’s.

I saw Paul Dickman AE '45 last summer when he was on a transcontinental tour in his motor home. I also had a call from John Graves AE '45 a couple of days after our earthquake in Seattle, I assured him we were still intact.


Clarence Flora '45 AE wrote: I really don’t have much to add to the report I sent you for the 50th newsletter.  I got my degree in August 1944, with the few other surviving civilian class members. I then worked for Grumman for a little less than a year, wanted to get into aerodynamics, but there were no openings at Grumman. Jim Decker,'45 AE, who had gone to Martin, talked me into applying there. I worked there for only about 5 months when I became seriously ill. I was unable to work for more than two years. In the fall of 1948, I was accepted into graduate school and became a TA, largely through the good offices of Prot A.J. Fairbanks. I was promoted to Instructor, and worked full time teaching in the next two years, which is why it took the academic years 1948-51 to get a Masters in Aero. It was an interesting time, with many G.I. bill students on campus.                                                               I then got a job at Boeing in Seattle where I worked from 1951-59, and 1962 until retirement in 1988, which I described in my previous letter 10 years ago. The 1960-61 period was spent in Brazil. I was recruited by the U.S. Foreign Aid Administration which had a program with the Brazilian Air Force Technical Center. I was a visiting Assoc. Prof. It was supposed to be a teaching job only, but I also got involved in the R&D side. The early beginnings of what became EMBRAER were in the works. My principal assistant was a man who later became the Chief Engineer at Embraer. This is probably enough reminiscing. As I said you can find the rest in my previous outpouring. 


Bill Peace BIE '45 wrote: Don't know if you've received the very sad news that one of my best friends, classmate, and fraternity brother, Don Fulton  BMG '45, died October 20th.  He had gone in for heart repair and died on the operating table.  Don had been fighting cancer for a long time. 

Don and I kept closely in touch over the years.  We started RPI in the fall of 1941, served in the Navy in the south and west Pacific and met overseas in Tiensin, China at the end of hostilities, returned to RPI and graduated, were in each others weddings.  We visited very often over the years.  I shall miss Don tremendously as we used to talk on the phone about every other month.  His wonderful wife, Sally , has her two daughters and one son close by which is a good help.  Libby and I shall keep in close touch with them.

The two of us are getting along just fine.  Our Rotary Club in Leelanau County, Michigan is very active in developing new uses and markets for cherries.  Our area, comprising five counties in northern Michigan, is the largest cherry growing area in the world for tart cherries.  We're working with three different  product groups:  1. juice, 2. flavor enhancement, 3. dried cheery uses.  It is quite fascinating   and exciting.  Cherries have 17 antioxygents and are extremely healthful in areas such as heart, arthritis, etc.  It helps the health of everyone!

Shots from G’s


Steve Gilligan ‘45/’48 BME wrote:   I was in the class of '45 until being called to active duty and came back to graduate in the class of '48.  Just a note to let you know I'm still around and a little of my trip over the last 67 years since being a freshman in '41.  I joined the Army Enlisted Reserve in the Fall of '42 while at RPI and was called to active duty at Fort Dix, NJ after deciding to leave school in Fa11 ' 43. The expansion of the Air Force at that time resulted in placement in bombsight and autopilot maintenance training at Lowry Field, CO, which led to selection to Cadet school leading to a commission in that field .at Yale University. From there it was off to the Air Material Command at Warner Robins Air Base, GA and an eight week course to be an aircraft maintenance officer. Finally trained, I was sent to the 4501st Air Service Group in Lakeland, Fla. as aircraft maintenance officer, a field I continued to serve in the rest of WWII, there and at Pinellas, Fla. and Savannah, Ga.  At this point, I returned to RPI and received my BSME with the Class of' ‘48. It was then to the Research Division of International Paper Company. When the Korean War started many of those of us with armament noted in our records got recalled. I was assigned to Wright Patterson, Ohio for eight months before being sent to the 6th Tac Recon Wing, Kimpo, Korea as the Wing Armament Officer in late '51. Upon completing this tour, I joined the Carrier Air Conditioning Company, Syracuse, NY.  At Carrier I was given a fairly free hand in redesigning, overseeing, and operating the Development Engineering Laboratories. While there, several of my co-workers who were in the Air National Guard talked me into signing up to complete 20 years for retirement. We were recalled to active duty when the Berlin Wall went up and this time it was back to aircraft maintenance at Phalsburg, France. I  returned to Carrier until my retirement in ‘85.  Assignments have been from hands-on to staff positions, all enjoyable. Many, if not most, positions have involved association with bright, young people who we were happy to move up the success ladder.  A note in the Alumni Magazine to the effect my '41 freshman roommate was one of six from the Class of '45 making the '05 Reunion has lead to my making contact with dorm mates Richard Nickerson and Robert Stewart and word that John Wheeler and Edgar Cortright are still active. Sadly, we know of the passing of Phil Cruse, Ward Minkler, Alan Vorhees and Don Cornell. There are three unlocated including Richard Gebeline.  I have two sons whose families are close by and six grandchildren, three girls and three boys. They have provided me with much joy since '05 when Joan, my wife of 56 years passed away.


Bernard L. Golding, PE, '45 BCE went on to get his MSCE from Columbia Univ.  He wrote 12 books on "Computer Programs in Engineering", one textbook on "Hydrology & Hydraulics for Storm Water Management Engineering".  He was  awarded the "1994-1995 Outstanding Service to Engineering Profession" by the Florida Engineering Society.  He likes to make CADD drawings. Bernard & Hilda live in Red Hook, NY.

Shots from H’s


William Herrick BCE ’45: I was in the original class in Civil Engineering, starting in September, '41, continued under V-12 and completed my degree before going to midshipman school.  As I recall, it was the civils and electricals that were permitted to complete their degree before shipping out.

My midshipman and officer's training was at Camp Endicott in Davisville, RI and I too was commissioned on Jan. 6th '45 as Ensign in the Civil Engineer Corps.

After serving with the 100th and 67th Construction Battalions in the Philippines, I returned to RPI as instructor in Civil Engineering and also completed the courses that had been cut out of the curriculum for the war time speed up.

Jean Morse, one of the Curtiss Cadets, married me in '46 and will soon help me to celebrate our 47th anniversary.  She worked in the Curtiss-Wright plant in Cauldwell, NJ during the war.  She was on the design team for the reversible pitch propeller - just before the jet age!  We have four children and six grand children.

My work experience has included design and facilities work for Albany Steel & Iron Co. in Menands, G.E. in Schenectady, Irving Grating Co. in Long Island City, Rome Iron Mills in Rome, NY, and Corning Glass Co..  The last twenty-five, I have been doing consulting work, first for R.J.Martin in Vestal and then with Adams-Sarnicola in Binghamton (now Delta Engineering).  My projects have included waste water collection and treatment, water supply and treatment, buildings, roads, and bridges.  I hold Professional Engineer licenses in NY and NJ.

After retiring Jan 1, '90, I then went back to work as field engineer on highway construction for awhile.  Now I do some part time structural design as a volunteer for Helps International Ministries, Inc., of Harlem, GA.  HIM provides architectural, engineering and construction services to evangelical missions throughout the world.

I noted in the Rensselaer Alumni Magazine that Walter Dulken has lost contact with Booth Kelly and me.  I would like to write to him if you could give me his address.  Booth Kelly has a winter home in Florida and summer one near Niantic, CN.  We met Booth and Arlene about a year ago when their daughter graduated from Cornell.


Percy Hill ME ’45 P.E.- Professor of Engineering  Design & A Human Factors Consultant: I was a V-12 transfer from VPI and received my ME degree in October of '44.  My first orders were to Columbia Midshipman School, where I was commissioned an Ensign, USNR, in February '45.  I was then ordered to Communication School at Harvard and received the designation C(L).  I spent three months with an amphib group in Coronado, CA and the remainder of my service career was aboard a jeep carrier (Savo Island - CVE 78) as a communications officer in the Pacific (Pearl, Guam, and Okinawa).  We sailed through the Canal and put the ship in mothballs in Boston, where  I was separated from the Navy.  There, I met my wife, Charlotte, and we were married in 1946.

I started teaching engineering and math at VPI in '46, and in '48 moved to Tufts University in Medford, MA, where I chaired the department of Engineering Design, received an MS degree from Harvard, and retired after 35 years as a Professor Emeritus in 1983.  I was involved in human factors research at Tufts and co-founder of three companies, establishing a successful consulting practice as well as being awarded a number of patents, including one for the REACH toothbrush, marketed by Johnson & Johnson.

Early retirement allowed Charlotte and me to move to our summer home on the shore of Silver Lake in the small town of Madison, NH.  I have been very involved in town affairs, school board, planning board, budget committee, and currently as a selectman.  This plus assisting in the building of a new town library, golf, fishing, and building and flying R/C airplanes has kept me as busy as I was at RPI, the Navy, and at Tufts.  Our two daughters and six grandchildren are all in Massachusetts, so we are able to be with them often.

If a couple of my former classmates happen to read this, I would like to hear from them, namely John McDowell and Ted Heindsmann.  Thanks again for your efforts on behalf of the class of '45.  I do appreciate your including the two photographs in your recent publication. 


Percy Hill ME wrote that he has been able to contact John McDowell ME and had a good exchange of letters.  He wanted to make the 50th, but had a knee replacement in April and would be tied to a therapy schedule for some time.  He sends his best to all and hopes to make the 55th in 2000.


Percy Hill ME'45 sent along a correction to their email address which is:   As far as news is concerned, my wife of 54 years and I are enjoying my semi-retirement from Tufts University.  Considering a few aches and pains we are both in good health and play golf about three times a week.  After 37 years of teaching I took early retirement, moved to NH and became involved in local politics.  Presently I am serving my ninth year (final year of my third 3-year term) as a selectman in the town of Madison.  For the benefit of my classmates who are not familiar with old New England government, the legislative branch is the residents (about 700) who vote the budget at Town Meeting in March.  The executive branch is the three selectmen who are elected to staggered 3-year terms.  In my opinion this is true democracy that works very well in our small town.  Incidentally, our mailing address is Silver Lake, which is a village within the town of Madison.


El Hubbard EE '45 My wife Jeanne & I have our Golden Wedding Anniversary on September 17! If there are any classmates in the area of NW Arkansas we would like them

to stop by.  Have them write us at this e-mail address or 106 Red Fox Rd, N.E., Gravette, AR, 72736-9444 for information.  


Elbert Hubbard, EE '45 sent along a sad message:  Our biggest news is that we lost our son Michael in April.  Nobody knew him from our class, of course, but he was only 53.  He had a good life and at the time of his death was living on the Island of Grenada on his ship, the "Shenandoah".  He had one daughter who lives in San Francisco and works for Charles Schwab the investment company.


Robert L. Humphreys' ME wife sent a card that they wouldn't be able to attend, but Bob would like to hear the news from everyone.  Give him a nudge with your pen or your computer one of these days.  He is at 923 Breezewick Circle. Baltimore MD 21286.

Shots from I’s

Shots from J’s


Wendell Johnson PE BME ‘45 retired vice president of nuclear construction and quality assurance, Public Service Company of New Hampshire, Yarmouth, Maine, received the Codes and Standards Medal of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) during its winter annual meeting, Nov. 28-Dec3, in New Orleans. 

Wendell received the medal for "his outstanding technical contribution to the development of quality assurance requirements for nuclear power plant equipment and systems and for foresight and unwavering dedication to the advancement of ASME Codes and Standards through leadership, professionalism, and commitment to ASME committees, people, and purpose."

Wendell began his career in the nuclear energy field in 1956, seven years after starting at the Public Service Company of New Hampshire (PSNH) as head of the Instrument Department at Shiller Station, New Hampshire.  Later he was assigned to the home office of Yankee Atomic Electric Company (YAEC), with responsibility for the design of the reactor plant's control and instrument systems.  In 1959 he was transferred to the company's Rowe plant, becoming overall plant superintendent three years later.

In 1972 he was appointed vice-president of Maine Yankee and a year later he was promoted to vice-president of engineering for YAEC, with responsibility for all phases of engineering.  Wendell began working full time at the company's Seabrook Plant (NH) in 1980, where he was responsible for management, engineering, construction, and quality assurance.  After retiring from YAEC in 1983, he joined PSNH as vice-president of nuclear construction and quality assurance, retiring in 1987 after completion of the Seabrook Plant.

Wendell received his BME in '44.  He is a registered professional engineer in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. He is a member of the American Nuclear Society. 

(The above text is taken from an ASME news release published in Sept. '93 with editorial adjustments for our timing and our relationship to Wendell)


If those of you in New England wondered who was running the show at the Yankee Atomic Electric Company(YAEC), it was one of your classmates, Wendell P. Johnson, PE, BME '45.

Wendell originally was with Public Service Company of New Hampshire as head of the Instrument Department, and went into the nuclear energy field in 1956.  He was at Argonne National Laboratory  in IL for nuclear power training and experience for a year.  He was then assigned to YAEC for the design of the nuclear plant's control and instrument systems.  He was appointed Vice President of  Maine Yankee with responsibility for licensing, construction, operations, and quality assurance.  Again he was moved up to Vice President of Engineering for YAEC.  He retired from YAEC in 1983 and joined PSNH as Vice President of nuclear construction and quality assurance. He retired in 1987. 

Wendell received the Bernard F. Langer Nuclear Codes and Standards Award in 1980 and in 1993 was awarded the ASME Codes and Standards Medal.  He is a retired  Captain in the Civil Engineering Corps of the Naval Reserve and former Commander of the Seventh United States Naval Reserve Regiment.
Wendell and Pauline have been married for 56 years and have one son and three daughters and seven grandchildren.  They are traveling a lot, wintering in Florida, reading and playing a lot of golf.  Their home is in Yarmouth, Maine.